There was an error in this gadget

Monday, April 6, 2009

Good Reads: What I Saw and How I Lied


Title: What I Saw and How I Lied
Author: Judy Blundell

Set in Palm Beach in 1947, What I Saw and How I Lied follows the life of Evie as her parents take her from her Brooklyn home to the Florida heat for a vacation. What follows is a mystery where various events transpire under Evie's watch and a resulting death may or may not be her parents' fault. After a business deal goes wrong, a hurricane passes through and a man winds up dead. Evie finds herself thrust into a murder investigation and surround by questions of what really has been going on around her. Through it all, Evie falls in love with the handsome Peter, gets a first-hand lesson in the harshness of dealing with racism and ultimately finds that her mother and step-father are not the perfect people she always thought they were.

Blundell creates a moody atmosphere and weaves together the various characters and their motivations smoothly, creating a fascinating historical tale that deals with growing up, racism, and sexism, among other things. What I Saw and How I Lied is a terrific story that is hard to put down.

What I Saw and How I Lied is located in YA Fiction: YA Blundell

No comments: